The Impact of the Layers of Black History Events
To date, we have hosted the following events:
The Layers of Black History Gala Series
The "Little" Layers of Black History Gala Series
A Brunch of Haircare Workshops
Sooo...where have we donated?
To date, the following donations have made via our events:
- 297 books donations to the Palmyra (PA) Area School District
- 225 books donated to children and individuals at community events
- 65 books placed in "Free Libraries" in Palmyra, Pa., Harrisburg, Pa, and Cambridge, Ma.
- 30 books placed in Central Pa. and Greater Boston Area coffee shops (for individuals to read or take home!)
- 50 pounds of non-perishable food items donated to The Caring Cupboard
- $2,500 of scholarships for students pursuing post-secondary careers
We currently are expanding to include donating books to: three (3) additional schools, two (2) "Back to School" initiatives, the Palmyra Area Public Library, several coffee shops, and more free community events!
In 2022, our first year of giving, we were able to award three students for their hard work and in the classroom and their post secondary education path. The scholarship dollar amounts between the three recipients totaled $2,500. These funds were raised through grassroots initiatives and the Inaugural Layers of Black History Gala. Each year we are looking to exceed the previous year total. Our scholarship impact sectors are: Education & Post Secondary Success, Entrepreneurship & Business Development, Family Support, Media & Journalism, and S.T.E.A.M.
Pictured are the winners of the "Black Boy Brilliance" Scholarship. A scholarship awarded to two Cambridge Rindge and Latin high school Seniors that are furthering their education in the field of STEAM.
Pictured is the winner of the Johnna Tansimore and Corey Dupree "Ethos" Scholarship. This awarded is given to a Milton Hershey School Senior that is furthering education in the field of Community Service.